H.E (Prof.) Mohammed Gana Yisa
BIOGRAPHY OF PROFESSOR MOHAMMED GANA YISA, AMBASSADOR OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA TO JAPAN
- He attended Kwara State College of Technology, Ilorin 1976 – 1978.
- He obtained a B.Sc. in Agricultural Engineering at the Academy of Agriculture Krakow, Poland in 1983.
- Thereafter, he proceeded for M.Sc. degree in the same Institution and discipline in 1985.
- Subsequently, he obtained a Ph.D in Agricultural Engineering from Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan in 1996 where he became a monbusho scholar.
- International languages spoken include English, Japanese and Polish. He is currently undergoing Arabic language programme.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND LEGISLATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
He has served in the following capacities among others:
- Head of Department of Agricultural Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Minna 1989-1991.
- Member, University Governing Council, Federal University of Technology, Minna 1996 -1999.
- Member, University Senate, Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Head, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Minna 1998-2001.
- National Vice-Chairman, Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers (A Division of the Nigerian Society of Engineers) 2001-2003.
- Provost/CEO, Kwara State College of Education (Technical), Lafiagi. As the Provost, he made major contributions to the growth of the college which include: Development of infrastructure, won the war against examination malpractice, cultism, students and staff indiscipline, raised the standard of teaching and learning, checked sexual harassment, introduced new programmes, gradually turned the college to Centre of Excellence (COE) for Computer Science Education, etc. 2001-2005
- Chairman, Nigerian Society of Engineers, Ilorin Branch.
- From 2011 -2015 he Contested and Won Election into Kwara State House of Assembly and was elected Deputy Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly. He also served as Chairman House Committee on Agriculture and Water Resources as well as Member of the following Committees; Education and Human Capital Development, House Services, and Selection.
HONOURS AND DISTINCTIONS
As a student in Poland, he received the Vice-Chancellor’s Award, for High Average Score, Poland (Cash) in 1980, as well as Students Union’s Award for High Average Score, Poland (Cash) in 1982. He obtained Top Management Course Certification from the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON) in 2001. He received a Letter of Commendation from World Health Organization (WHO), for active support for immunization in Edu, LGA, Kwara State in 2002. He served as a Commissioner for Agriculture in Kwara State during which he received a letter of Commendation as an Outstanding Commissioner from the Executive Governor, Dr Abubakar Bukola Saraki in 2008.
He has written over 100 publications in national and international journals, some of which are:
- G. YISA and H. TERAO (1992): Overview of Agricultural Mechanization in Nigeria, Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Conference of the Hokkaido Branch of the Japanese Society of Agricultural Machinery, Obihiro, Japan, 35-36;
- G. YISA (2000): Modification of a Manually Operated Cassava Lifter. Proceedings of the 2nd National Engineering Conference of the School of Engineering and Engineering Technology, Federal University of Technology, Minna; and
- Fadeyibi, A., Osunde, Z.D., G. Yisa, and Birma, M. (2016). Review of biodegradable nano composite packaging materials for fruits and vegetables. In: Proceedings of 37th Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting of the Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers. Pp. 145-148. Publisher: Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers (NIAE).